Friday, February 6, 2009

Oh Mr. ZIP!

I gotta say, the US Post Office has been good to me. I send stuff Priority Mail all the time and never have a problem with it getting there on time. Contrast that with the dreaded UPS Ground- for more money, UPS will strap your package to the abdomen of a tree sloth and route it through Lapland, regardless of final destination.

But this isn't one of those paid posts where the blogger pretends to like something in exchange for a few bucks. I do have a little bone of contention here. Look at the form above. It's the form you use to find a ZIP code for a given address. You got your address 1, address 2, city, state, and ZIP?

"Lemmie see here. I need to find the ZIP code for this address which I have a ZIP code for. If only there was some kind of Internet thingie to help."

I can hear the critics now. " Suppose you have the 5 digit zip but want to find the ZIP+4 code." Well, genius, the form is going to spit out the ZIP+4 whether or not you enter a known ZIP code. So our generally competent postal service manages to retain its bad reputation by slapping a ZIP code field on the ZIP code search page. Great Job.

No comments:

Copyright 2007, 2008 Stuart Gripman. All rights reserved.